Skip to main content

Reply to "New NFHS Safety Rule for NOCSAE Certified Chest Protectors"

TerribleBPthrower posted:

... Does anyone know how this is going to be enforced? I've read some sites that say as long as it is manufactured before the rule then it is fine. I've read other sites that say umpires will require the certified gear right away. 

Before the game, coaches meet w/ umpires. UIC asks "Coach are your players legally/properly equipped according to NFHS / <state association> standards?".  Once both coaches reply yes, the following takes place "PENALTY: Failure by a player to wear proper equipment after being so ordered by the umpire, shall result in ejection". 

Before you jump on the messenger - let's say an umpire "overlooks" the equipment issue and let's the catcher play. If that catcher gets injured there will be some lawyer somewhere that could make life fairly miserable for the umpire. So yeah, if I check and don't see the NOCSAE mark - I'll have to request usage of proper equipment. Similar with the shell helmet/mask combo so prevalent in summer ball, but illegal in HS ball.  Theoretically HS's should be supplying equipment, but realistically with budgets the way they are - I know who fronts the bill.

BTW: Starting 1/1/2020, the baseballs also must meet NOCSAE.  It was supposed to be 2019, but apparently there were enough complaints about what schools would do with their supply of balls so it was delayed.