Skip to main content

Reply to "New NFHS Safety Rule for NOCSAE Certified Chest Protectors"

PitchingFan posted:

tequila posted:

My understanding is that it is up to the governing body i.e. NFHS, and associated state organizations, to add to their rules of play, and enforce. From the NFHS website, it is stated "The committee also revised Rule 1-5-3, which will require the catcher to wear a chest protector that meets the NOCSAE standard at the time of manufacture, effective January 1, 2020." I'd probably check with my state activities association directly if I were unsure. Are you trying to determine whether or not to buy one for your son that meets the standard?

This does not say it has to have NOCSAE stamp on it.  It says effective January 1, 2020 it must meet those standards which most already do just do not have the stamp on them.  It is like the bat rule in some leagues.  You have to have the list or know the ones that do or don't.  Check your chest protector and see if it already meets the standard before you go buy one. 

Just found the NOCSAE site and was glad to find a list of approved protectors that included the one my son uses. Thanks for the tip!