Skip to main content

Reply to "New Thread Suggestion...Minors..."

I'll share a little bit of a different story.

Yesterday, Father's Day, exactly three Father's Days since my son was hit in the face in Cape Cod...well, he was the starting pitcher (just like three years ago) for his minor league team, the Fort Wayne TinCaps. Being a little bit of a superstitious person, I was a little more nervous than usual.

With good reason I guess...he gave up 8 (yes EIGHT! Eek) runs in the 2nd inning...all earned. There were bloops and infield hits and "hits" that probably shoulda been errors...but EIGHT runs on EIGHT hits nonetheless. Thankfully, he came back to pitch a flawless ('cept for an E-6) 3rd and 4th innings.

I felt bad for him. I can never remember him having an inning like that...even close to that...ever. Not in youth ball nor HS nor anywhere else. Maybe only in the minor leagues is an inning like that even possible?

All kinds of "excuses" ran through my mind. His team had clinched the 1st half of the season division title the day before. Most of the players were headed out immediately after the game to visit girlfriends, family due to the all star break. Early Sunday game (not normal). Father's Day. Blah, blah, blah.

But there is a very good finish to this story. I'm in Arizona for the JO's with the younger boy so I texted him before his game even ended up North, "Nice recovery, hang in there, I love you."

Pretty shortly after the minor league son's game ended my phone rings.

"Hey Dad, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!"..."I just wanted to call and make sure you know I love you and hope you're having a good day Dad." Smile

And then we talked...about his younger brother's heroics the day before in a tight game in Phoenix...he was happy and proud of him...and we talked about his own 8-run inning that day. He was fine. Said "I've never experienced anything like that in my life!" He said he wasn't really concerned...only one hard hit ball. And he said he'd be fine...but wanted to make sure I was fine too.

I figure that was kinda hard to do...knowing how competitive he is. But it sure made me feel good and was about as good a Father's Day present as I coulda ever imagined (well, 8 scoreless innings woulda been a little better! Cool) .

Baseball is about picking yourself up after a tough day. He knows that, I know that. But family, thats what counts and I was gratified to have it affirmed that he sees it that way too!

(I'm just hoping it isn't his turn in the rotation next Father's day! Big Grin).
Last edited by justbaseball