Skip to main content

Reply to "NFHS Pitch Count Rules"

Bless you and all other middle school teachers, Gamecock. A vocation not for the faint of heart.

I picked the best time ever to start teaching (this is my first year).  I come home every day wondering if I made the right decision, spring break and summer can not come fast enough.

@PitchingFan posted:

There are a lot of states that have that rule.  The main ingredient is that they schools have to be at the same location and some connection in most states.  I know a young man who played 7 years of varsity because he changed schools between his 7th and 8th grade year and was held back.  He went on to play college ball and got drafted.  There are a lot of middle school guys who could easily play varsity at smaller schools and even some larger schools.   The place most of them struggle is at the plate but do great in the field.

We typically have buses that take athletes from our feeder schools to the high school (one is about 5 minutes away the other is maybe 10), we don't this year so middle school kids are left to having to have parents pick them up and bring them to practice.  It sucks but it is what it is right now.  Our district does not allow us to give students rides so even if I had kids at my school that played baseball (I don't) they would have to have a ride from someone else to practice even though I am already going.  When that really sucks is when I am stuck waiting around after practice for the rides of kids who literally live down the street from me.