Skip to main content

Reply to "Nick Adenhart Situation Update"

quote:
Originally posted by piaa_ump:
If you ever wondered why this site is so special, a short read of this thread should set you straight...its the people...

Through unspeakable tragedies and personal ordeals, we come together to share...and to support....if you cant feel the spirit evident in here tonight you just arent listening to your heart.....

Agreed.

Overcome with emotion here....

How many of us have sinned this very way and merely gotten lucky...

Hotcorner Dad - perhaps your son got lucky by getting caught. My thoughts and prayers for him and your family for healing and recovery. Maybe your son can guide someone else in the future and ultimately save someone's life. He can turn this into a positive. Humility is a great thing when its lessons are understood and applied.

deldad - graciousness and class. Not sure what else I can say but God bless.

20dad - my thoughts and prayers continue for you and your family.

I know I have been lucky and have made too many mistakes of my own to recall. Let me share what I told my son when he left for college...

For starters, I assume that ALL college students drink and work from that premise and realize that there are notable exceptions out there. Given that "premise" I told my "beloved" son:

"I don't care if you call me at 3:00 in the morning from almost 1,000 miles away, I'll pay for a cab to get you home and I don't care how much it costs and I'll never yell about it. We'll worry about getting the car home in the morning. Please, please please never get in a car if YOU have been drinking and please, please, please, never get in the car of SOMEONE else who has been drinking."

I believe we can all share those simple instructions with our kids. Sure I wish they wouldn't drink but peer pressure and social norms are too great to believe that outcome is realistic imho. Lets assume worst case a cab ride costs $300 to get our kids home one night safely (doubt it would ever be that much btw). How many of us would trade a one-time charge to our credit or debit cards of $300 for the alternative... the legal fees to defend a DUI which in many cases are three to five thousand dollars... the increased monthly premiums for high risk insurance which probably cost thousands or devastatingly worse... the loss of our most important treasure - our sons themselves cry ... or worse yet... the loss of someone elses treasure at the hand of one of our sons.... or worse yet... the loss of our own son and someone elses beloved treasure...

Call each one of your kids TODAY and insist they never, ever, never drive again or be driven by someone or themselves after they have been drinking. Encourage them to arrange a designated driver before taking the first drink and if that means you pay for it so be it. Let them know you will bare all expenses to get them home safely. Let them know there will be no repercussions for calling you at the wee hours of the morning to arrange a cab fare. Let them know that your treasure is far too important to allow it to be transported less than an IDEAL manner.

God bless the high school baseball web. Special blessings to Hotcorner Dad and deldad this holiday season.
Last edited by ClevelandDad