Skip to main content

Reply to "NJCAA covid eligibility waiver Spring 2021"

I generally agree that the "woe is me" attitude is not a good thing.  But I am not comfortable telling people to get over it on a timeline that feels right to ME.  I have a 2021 son and Covid's impacts (and the NCAA & NJCAA's decisions) stung a lot.  It took time for the sting to subside.  That's part of being human and we all process differently.  While I am over the sting of 2020 with regard to my 2021 son, it's still possible that what happened in 2020 will negatively impact my son in the future again.  A second big sting.  In reading some of these comments, it sounds like me/my son acknowledging any future sting associated with 2020 will be unacceptable.  No one likes whiners, but compassion isn't the worst thing in the world.

I do struggle with the "everyone lost/everyone suffered" concept.  While fundamentally true, some (of the everyone) who suffered got some things to help ease their suffering.  But 2021s like my son?  They only suffered.  They didn't get the help that 2019s and 2020s did.  So I'd be careful with considering everyone's suffering as somehow equal.  As I said earlier, my 2021 has a HS 2019 buddy who spent the last 2 years at a premier Juco.  Both have 4 years of eligibility remaining. Both are "freshmen."  In no universe does saying "both those kids suffered" come close to doing justice to the specifics of each kid's situation.  Usually (but not always), I find those who say "get over it" are ones who have suffered less and/or have more than the ones they're telling to get over it.

I take issue with the notion that few kids will come back for an additional year when available.  When the NCAA first made the decision to grant the extra year, just about everyone was saying "very few" would come back for a 5th year.  But that very few ended up resembling closer to 65%.  So I'd caution anyone from arguing that very few will take advantage of the extra opportunities.  This generation is nowhere near as anxious to begin their non-baseball careers as we'd hoped.  A majority aren't embarrassed to live with their parents after college.

Lastly, I'll share a story.  My son and I visited the Juco he's now at back in June of 2020.  At that time, his coach predicted that it'd take 3-4 years for Juco to fully recover from/wash out the impacts of Covid and 4-5 years for 4-year programs.  Again, that was June of 2020 for what that's worth.