Skip to main content

Reply to "No blocking the plate in HS...right?"

Matt13 posted:
lionbaseball posted:
Matt13 posted:
lionbaseball posted:

Runner should come in and slide with spikes up.  

What is wrong with you?

Nothing.  What's wrong with you?   How else do you slide besides head first?  Btw, my son is the primary catcher and i told to not block the plate

You are advocating hurting a child. There is something wrong with you.

I don't know how accurate this is but Wikepedia states:

"In high school, the "malicious contact" rule prevents collisions at home plate or elsewhere on the field. The defense is prohibited from initiating flagrant contact with the base runner while the offense, in turn, is required to attempt to avoid significant contact, often through the use of a slide. If the defense violates, the ball is dead and the offender ejected as the umpire awards penalties that in his/her judgment will nullify the act of malicious contact. If the offense violates, the ball is dead, the offender declared out and then ejected from the game."

We actually had a game where the catcher on one team blocked the entire plate and the runner slid with a straight legged slide.  The top cleat caught the thigh of the catcher, who was blocking the plate.  No injury but hopefully the catcher learned a lesson to prevent further injuries in the future.  

Have you ever played baseball?