Skip to main content

Reply to "No blocking the plate in HS...right?"

Runner is out (did the catcher have the ball in his throwing hand after the mitt came off?)

Ejection I'm 50 / 50 but could change my mind if I could see a different angle. 

Was there contact that was not a slide - yes - but I don't think it was malicious.  I don't see him changing direction to go towards the catcher but he didn't slide either but ended up on the ground.  So that's why I can see not ejecting him.  A different angle may change my mind because........

It looks he brought his arms up just before he started his fall / dive which nailed the catcher in the hands which knocked the mitt off.  This is where I can see dumping him.  

In the heat of the moment I probably toss him too but watching it 20 times I think an argument can be made not to eject him but I don't think heat of the moment saves him.  His coach didn't seem to put a lot of effort into coming out to discuss it.  I think you HAVE to come out and talk to the plate ump but you could also be telling him he made the right call but your fans / players don't know that.