Skip to main content

Reply to "No blocking the plate in HS...right?"

I'm the original poster and just watched the video. My son is a catcher, but I'm sort of with Buckeye on this. But...three things. (1) to me the catcher WAS blocking the plate entirely BEFORE the ball arrived (but not egregious) so that should be obstruction; (2) the runner tried to move inside to get to the base when the contact was made; but (3) the runner DID bring his arms up during contact.

To me, the moment the runner brought his arms up during contact, it LOOKS, in a bang-bang play, like it was malicious and ump tossed him because HS to MLB clearly wants no collisions at home.

However, if the runner slowed up to avoid contact, which is what happened in the situation I described that started all of this over 2 years ago, I'd say the catcher should be called for obstruction and the run scores. But would that have happened...? I'd say 50/50 at best. If there was video replay, and the umpires watched it a few times, they would have called the out at home but maybe not eject the runner. But again, bang-bang play and no replay = I don't think the umpire's call nor the ejection were unreasonable.