Skip to main content

Reply to "no playing time"

SONB12 posted:

Don't have all the facts but sounds as if kid never said he didn't want to pitch.  Since he preferred catching. Family decided to spent their money on what made kid most happy. Did coach spend extra time working on pitching with kid hisself?  Why was there only one coach for a  HS team? I understand a coach playing a player where team most need, but not forcing him to take private lessons.

Our team has two coaches and that's it. No specific hitting or pitching coach. Just two guys who do it all, including coach JV, and oversee sophomore and freshman coaches and handle all field maintenance.

My son has been a catcher, and a very good one. HIs freshman year the team had an excellent catcher who literally caught every game. Son's youth coach flat out said to him, you'll pitch varsity this year if you want, or you'll catch and play third on freshman team. What do you want to do? Son pitched, played and was named all conference as a sophomore. He still loves to catch and he does it from time to time because coach has seen his ability in that direction, but still sees him primarily as a pitcher and uses him that way.

My only point is if you're paying for private lessons, you can pay for what you want to do, or you can pay for what will get you on the playing field. If you pay for what you want to do, that's fine, but don't complain when it doesn't get you on the field.