Skip to main content

Reply to "no playing time"

cabbagedad posted:
RKBH posted:
Golfman25 posted:
The idea that all this "work hard, great teammate, perform when you get a chance, etc." will make a difference is nonsense.  Some coaches could care less.  They pick their dogs and run with them.   Nothing a player can do will make a difference.  There is nothing worse than working hard, being a good teammate, and performing, thinking there is a chance you'll crack the line up when the fact is you won't under any circumstances.  The key is to figure out early on what kind of coach you have.  Then you can work from there.

I have to agree with Golfman25 100%.  Coaches have their favorites and most times once they have made their mind up there is nothing a player can do.  This is happening to my son, his senior season,  was told by all of the coaches at the beginning of the season he is one of the most athletic kids on the team, will definately make an impact and they will get him in the game.  Needless to say since mid April he has barely played,  when they put him in he did well, no errors and got the job done.  Other kids just started hitting better than him but instead of helping him, now he sits.   Now in playoffs ...my heart is breaking for him.  NOT because he is not playing but because he was lied to...and the coaches were upfront in the beginning of the season and told players lines of communication will always be open yet no communication from the coaches.  These are not men, they a mice.  One thing my son is learning is how not to treat people and that communication is important.  AND he has learned to watch the kids playing and "could' tell them exactly what they are doing wrong while pitching, hitting, etc....would NEVER say anything but it is interesting that he has become a "student" of the game.  Maybe someday he will be a good coach, who knows.  Afterall just because someone played in college or professionally does not make them a good coach.    Anyway - best wishes to all of the Seniors and the kids who are going to play in college. 

RKBH, not trying to be insensitive and sorry your son is not having a good senior baseball season.  But I am confused by your post.  First, Golfman has consistently made it clear that he has had bad experience with HS baseball and his posts usually reflect that... I understand that.  But you state that your son was told he would make an impact and they will get him in the game.  They did put him in (as they said they would), he played well but other kids started hitting better.  What did you expect would happen if there are other kids hitting better?  You then said "instead of helping him, now he sits".  Well, don't they practice most days?  The coaches are supposed to help ALL players, right?.  They practice every day, right?  Are they supposed to help him more than the other players so he can start ahead of them again?

You said he was lied to and you implied, I believe, that it was about the coaches saying that lines of communication will always be open, yet no communication from the coaches.  Well, if other kids are hitting better and you know it, certainly your son knows it.  What additional communication is necessary in this scenario? 

Sorry, I'm sure there is more to the story... I just wasn't getting it.

Yes, you are correct.  They do practice every day and my son works very hard.   I sat with a person who knows baseball very well, he was watching the last game with me.  There are 2 boys who kept hitting fly balls to the outfield and of course they were caught.  This person knew exactly what these kids were doing wrong.  The coaches have let this go on all season without trying to help them.   There is more to this story and it is way too long to post.  My point was just to say that my son is sticking with it, not quiting and is still trying his best and  learning from this experience.