Skip to main content

Reply to "no playing time"

Golfman25 posted:
phillyinNJ posted:
baseballmom posted:

RKBH

Coaches don't play favorites. They can't afford to.

Coaches DO play their best 9, those players that hit, steal, score runs & add K's.  It is a competition & the Coach that puts up Wins, by utilizing his best players, keeps his job. 

Being a "student of the game" would include more batting practice, even if it's on his own. He's got to out perform those that out performed him. 

JMO

I think this is probably true in college, but not as much so in HS...while the coaches job is to WIN in HS as well, they have more flexibility to play jimmy over johnny for one reason or another...and its not always because jimmy will help them put a W in the winning column.

There simply not the real pressure to win or get fired at most high schools. Our area is just finishing up and to date nobody's been fired.  A few are retiring, some taking other jobs, and some stepping away because they have young kids.  The reality is that there isn't a long line to be a HS baseball coach. So they tend to stick around.  

Well, I wouldn't say there's no pressure in HS.   It's  not driven as much by wins and losses as by PARENTS, (and players)  especially around here.   Rival HS has been through like 4 coaches in five years.  Largely driven by player and parent REVOLTS  (and admittedly some malfeasance on the part of coaches.  I mean one guy got fired cause he mixed pain killers and alcohol at a three martini lunch, showed up a game looped out of his mind).  But the parents in these parts are no walk in the park.  Silicon Valley bigwigs used to getting their ways and throwing their weight around.  They can cause lots of headaches.  Takes a strong AD to stand up to that sort of thing.   

Last edited by SluggerDad