Skip to main content

Reply to "no playing time"

TPM posted:

Yes, lets get real. HS baseball is what it is. But many continue to complain, and will continue to complain. Forever.

Enjoy the moment, any moments, its not gonna make your son any less of a person because his HS coach is a jerk.

You said it perfectly!

My son just had his high school career ended (unexpectedly) by a fluke bad inning on Monday. Nobody expected it to end on Monday, and it did...that quick.

I have spent all week torturing myself with all the "what ifs" and things I wish I would have done differently these past four years. The time I wasted with negativity and complaints was completely unproductive, and in fact, was counterproductive to me enjoying these past four years as much as I should have.

I was fortunate that my son played (maybe not at the "right" position, as I saw it) and was very successful no matter where they put him. My son was having fun with his buddies and playing the game that he loved...and yet I focused too much on the negative...not really taking the time to think that this ride was going to end.

Fortunately, I do get somewhat of a second chance in that he is playing in college, hopefully for the next four years. I am going to make it a point to flush the negative and only dwell on how awesome it is to be able to see him wear a baseball uniform for a few more years (and maybe if he is lucky, get to play some along the way).

So yes, there are tons of HS coaches out there that have no business buying a ticket to a baseball game, let alone coaching in one. But, in the big scheme of things, your son is making memories with some guys he will hopefully be friends with for a long, long time. Control what you can control, support him when he needs your support...but just enjoy the ride. It comes to a screeching halt much quicker than you ever imagine it will.