Skip to main content

Reply to "no playing time"

Golfman25 posted:
SanDiegoRealist posted:

I can understand it being tough for parents who, once their kids get into HS find playing time or even getting a roster spot difficult. I can sympathize. As they get older, it gets harder, so they have to take that as a catalyst to work harder. My son did. Especially in a highly competitive HS program. There literally is no off season.

We started summer ball last weekend and played in a pretty competitive tournament, got knocked out in the semis by a team of really old (I guess we call them grey shirts?) 2019s, many of whom were already committed to major D1 programs or play/have played for Team USA - we hung right there but you could clearly see a size/strength/skill advantage. My son's team is newly formed, there are a few players from his school, a few from a neighboring school with a good program, and the rest are a collection from other schools. Having never seen the boys in action, the coach took the first couple of games as an opportunity to get the boys into the game and up to bat to really assess their skills. Once bracket play started, it was the usual suspects out there playing. If you see players who are the starters on HS and then in travel ball, under different coaches, it's a pretty good indicator that multiple coaches think that player is the best player available, at that time. We all know that, but it bears repeating. I know that is hard for some boys and parents to accept at times, especially when they see a new team as an opportunity as a fresh start, a new chance to impress the coaches. I have tremendous sympathy for that. But ultimately the cream always rises to the top (in 99% of the cases...may not be statistically accurate). That doesn't mean there isn't a chance. Injuries happen, situations arise. Be ready, make an impact when you have your opportunity and let that coach know that you can be counted upon when the time comes. That builds value.

Problem is many of the sayings we read here are just not true when applied to HS ball.  HS coaches don't always have to win to keep their job. They don't always play the best 9.  And sometimes the don't play the kids that can hit.  Thus, sometimes the cream doesn't rise to the top. Parents and players new to HS need to go in with there eyes wide open and be aware of what is happening around them.  Sometimes coaches are stubborn, biased, and just plain bad coaches.  Control what you can is good advice but doesn't help with the frustration of being in one of these bad situations.  

Sometimes I think the conflict comes in the debate over who's the cream. I may think my son is, and that he should rise to the top. I may be wrong. I absolutely think my son is one of the best nine, and I could be wrong. And I could think our coach is just horrible and doesn't know what he's doing, but I could be wrong.