Skip to main content

Reply to "No sports for Bowdoin until 2021"

Things not looking great at Amherst for fall sports and for the whole year, perhaps. Which realistically may apply to all NESCAC schools, and probably every D3 in the NE.

Seems there's no room for EVERYONE to return in the fall and be safe so parents and students are being surveyed about their preferences. looks like first years may have preference to be on=campus, which I understand but does that mean the seniors don't get any time on campus with their cohort their whole senior year?  And if kids can't be on campus how can they play?

I'm thinking about a gap year for my guys, frankly.  On-line for liberal arts schools is purely half-assed academically, and whole-assed socially and athletically.  Why not give Covid a year to settle down and then back at it on campus in Fall 2021, assuming an effective vaccine is in place.  Big assumption, I know, but kids don't need to rush through this part of their lives  just to graduate into an iffy job market.

On the other hand, my rising college senior is working on line for his internship at a private equity firm. If they like him and he likes them (which is really hard to know since EVERY contact with them, interviews, hiring meeting, current training, everything has been via zoom, FaceTime, and Skype) should he just go ahead, finish his degree, and plunge into full adulthood.

I am the absolute worst person to be giving that advice.  I resisted adulthood kicking and screaming until I got married at 40.  Anyone care to step in and parent my boys for me?  I promise I'll stay in touch.