Skip to main content

Reply to "No sports for Bowdoin until 2021"

the variety of responses for next fall is sufficiently different from school to school that I'm not even sure anyone could have predicted which school would do what.  

I work in higher ed. and have been following universities' announcements fairly closely.  From what I have seen, there really are only two major categories of responses, at least when it comes to colleges with substantial residential populations:  1) some schools (e.g., most of the Cal State system) have announced they are going to offer remote learning only.  And 2) others plan to have students back on campus with social distancing measures that look similar across the board.  I guess you could say 2a -- schools that have invited all students back, and 2b -- schools that plan to have only a portion of students on campus at a time.  And most colleges in category 2 appear to have hedged their plans by saying they may have to reevaluate later.  Profs at UNC system schools have been told to be prepared to move to remote instruction-only, in case that becomes necessary.  D1 schools are planning to play football this fall, but you don't have to look far at all to find statements that it may not be possible.  

Here's a link to the most comprehensive source I know of collecting colleges' plans.  IMO, they overstate things when they separate schools planning a "hybrid" approach from those planning in-person instruction, because most schools that will have students on campus in the fall seem to be planning to conduct some classes remotely (which is how I would define "hybrid"):

https://www.chronicle.com/arti...d=wcontentgrid_hp_1b