Skip to main content

Reply to "No sports for Bowdoin until 2021"

@BackstopMom posted:

It seems most likely that barring a vaccine,  there really won’t be any sports in the Ivy League or at HA schools this year. If that proves to be true, how will that affect baseball at any of these schools since it will essentially mean that they won’t play for two consecutive seasons (considering the fact that last season was dramatically cut short)? On a separate note, how will this affect sports, particularly in the Ivy League, overall?  In recent years, there has been discussion of taking legacies and athletes out of the equation in Ivy League admissions.  Doubtful they’ll ever get rid of the former but will this disruption ultimately lead to the latter?

I was going to write back that some high academics will continue to have sports but just found some new info that spooks me a bit.  My son is at a school in the NEWMAC conference (d3) which is basically all in Massachusetts with one in CT.  Not all are high academic schools in conference but they announced they will play sports in all seasons but no travel and only in conference for now.   The one school I was most worried about was MIT.  I just noticed that they did just cancel all fall sports yesterday.  They have not made decisions on winter yet.  My sons school did announce fall practice plans for baseball and has announced they plan to play all seasons.  They gave themselves the out of course - following the data.  The virus here in the NorthEast is under control for now. 

Side thought- I assumed the virus would weaken in the summer and come back in the fall winter.  It didn't weaken in summer - its in the south in the middle of the summer.  So why do we expect a second (or third) wave to occur in the fall / winter when it can occur now?  Perhaps the virus can live longer in colder temps and the risk is just higher.  Just an observation.