Skip to main content

Reply to "No sports for Bowdoin until 2021"

Gunner, I think the main concern about fall/winter is that people spend a lot more time inside then.  So instead of gathering in places like beaches, parks and outdoor patios, they are more likely to be in enclosed spaces.  

I'm not making a prediction or a recommendation, but it would not surprise me to see some schools switch to all-remote classes in the next few weeks (or all-remote except labs and other activities that just cannot be done via Zoom).  Maybe they take Cornell's route and invite students to live on campus anyway?  But the tea leaves don't look positive to me--infection and hospitalization trends in many states, increasing faculty objections, students and parents having second thoughts about the appeal of socially distanced college now that they see the rules that will apply.  

At this point, it looks as though I am going to be paying tuition, room & board to send two kids to private universities so they can take most of their classes online from their dorm rooms and eat dining hall take out.  Seems like the main reason students would be interested in that arrangement is because they assume they can party despite rules trying to prohibit that.  

I just sent checks for both my kids so they are going even if the schools won't let them on campus..... I will just have them live with RJM or Glofisher.  For me, the next few weeks are key to understand how this massive spike in cases filters through hospitalizations, to ICU to deaths by age group.   The spike started around June 10th so we are a month past and data should start telling us more information now. 

This is going back to what colleges can afford to take the financial hits and which ones can't.  The hits are coming if they restrict access to campus or only allow kids to do all remote learning.  I doubt the administrators have forgotten this but I can tell you the parents will be asking for Williams type discounts if it's remote learning.