Skip to main content

Reply to "No sports for Bowdoin until 2021"

At my son’s school, he will be required to sign a document stating that he will comply with all the rules or be sent home.  He will download an app where he will keep track of daily COVID symptom status. He’ll also be required to keep a daily contact list of everyone he comes in contact with each day for contact tracing later if necessary. If he leaves campus for any reason (which is highly discouraged), he will be COVID tested upon return.  He can’t have any outside guests without prior approval.  Those are the basics.  We’ll learn more later. 

I will say that in this environment, as an entering freshman, I am grateful that he’s on the baseball team.  It gives him a ready made group of kids he’s already getting to know.  They are developing a sense of teamwork already feeling that while they’re in a strange situation, they’re in this together. Perhaps that will benefit them later as a team.  I certainly would hate to send a kid off to school in this environment not knowing a soul.  It’s already designed to be very isolating.  It would feel more like going off to a minimum security federal prison than a college. I know it’s the best these schools can do under the circumstances, but I wonder the long term impact on higher education.