Skip to main content

Reply to "No sports for Bowdoin until 2021"

I don't know what the right answer is re: suspending fall collegiate sports.  But when it comes to the Ivy League's decision (and the Centennial Conference's), a few things do seem important.  The schools involved:

--have access to advice and info from some of the best medical schools in the world that are part of their universities;
          --no matter what they decide about having students on campus in 2020-21, are unlikely to face major financial hardship due to that decision, and will continue to get 8, 10 or more applicants for every spot in their classes;
          --don't get substantial revenue from football, so have no incentive to try to preserve an income stream; and
          --are private, so don't have to answer to state officials who may have political agendas (which agendas could cut in different ways at different public colleges).

So if any institutions are in a position to make a decision for the right reasons, it should be these schools.  I'm not suggesting Clemson and Alabama don't care about the health of their athletes, but they do face different pressures.  This doesn't make the Ivy/Centennial decisions correct, but I don't think they can be dismissed out of hand.