Skip to main content

Reply to "No sports for Bowdoin until 2021"

Gotta say, I don’t like that Holy Cross policy. I haven’t heard of anything similar at other schools. 

I also will have kids at 2 different colleges this fall. Neither will know for some weeks yet how many of their classes will be online. If I were the cynical type, I might think schools are delaying so more kids will plan to come to campus...  Both my offspring have made clear, however, that taking classes on their laptops from a dorm room will be better than living with mom and dad for even a split second longer than absolutely required.

I didn’t expect a tuition reduction (and am shocked a few schools are offering them), but I am curious to see if any other charges are cut. Fees for gyms and other facilities that are closed or severely limited?  Sorority dues for a chapter that can’t have everyone in the same room, much less hold social or service events?  Meal plan charges for boxed, take-out food, versus the usual plethora of all-you-can eat options?  I don’t expect any discounts, but that seems wrong to me. 

Have any schools scaled back their testing plans?  Some testing has to happen, but given backlogs in many states, I wonder if some of the plans will get pared down.