Skip to main content

Reply to "Nolan Ryan"

quote:
Originally posted by YoungGunDad:
What gets me about all of this is that some of these players were great anyways. They didn't need any kind of help to boost their play. McGwire, Clemens, Bonds, etc. These guys were bonafide HOF candidates early in their careers..IMO

Totally agree. I saw Manny in his first major league game and you could tell he was a hall of famer - without steroids. Same with the others. McGwire hit 49 homers and was rookie of the year and I don't believe steroids were a factor for him THEN.

I don't think this was about money. I think it was about ego and adulation. Sports is in some respects about dominating your opponents. These drugs provided that ability. For the record, I want to see the steroid era end. I forgive those who have gone in that direction however. I can see where the culture of the times enabled it. Management is just as guilty as the players imho.

What everyone seems to be up in arms about is the records. I think it is possible to analyze a player and say, would he have been a hall of famer anyways. For some like Bonds, I think the answer is yes and thus, they should be recognized someday.