Skip to main content

Reply to "non baseball memories"

Fungo, the beginning of my story could very much resemble yours with the exception that my dad was around. We didn't have much but each other. I've told the story before here about chilli and how that is a family tradition at Chrismas since it is what my Mom and Dad could afford for a Christmas meal. At Thanksgiving, my Dad reminised about everything that had happened and he feels bad about what I had to do as a child. I try to convince him that everything I have and am is because of him and those times. My Wife has heard all of those stories but never from him and my child really got to know her Grandpa and Dad this Thanksgiving from those stories. I look at my life now and can't believe I've been so blessed. No one would have guess back then that I'd be where I am now. I have a great kid, loving Wife and get to be a part of the best profession in the world. I'm a teacher! I got after a young lady the other day in basketball practice and so when basketball practice was over, I apologized to her for yelling. She replied, "That's ok Coach Butler, I still love you." I was choked up for some time.

I'll finish with this. I felt chest pains the other day sitting in class and was scared enough to call for the school nurse. When she got down there, she joked about if it were the "big one" she'd have to let me go. I remarked to her that if so, I'd die the happiest man on this earth.

(PS, don't worry it was stress related and everything is fine. I take my job too serious sometimes.)