Skip to main content

Reply to "Non committable offers"

2014Prospect, as I'm sure you know, the NLIs cannot be signed until November of senior year.  So, everyone has to depend on the coach's word prior to that time.  From everything I have read and talking to people over the years, the vast majority of coaches are honorable and will stick to their word.  Unfortunately, there are always things you read about where this does not happen.  I think those situations are in the minority, but they do happen.  All parents and players can do is try to figure out the situation and make the best decision for themselves.  The verbal offer/commitment is something that cannot be avoided as coaches need to make roster and scholarship decisions much in advance of that November timeline.  I think most of the time a player will be fine, but the fact of the matter is, something bad can and sometimes does happen.  This shouldn't let it deter anyone from seeking and committing to an offer.  Some coaches may have more of a reputation of going back on their word and with these coaches you should be extra careful.  This is where doing some homework in advance comes in handy.  Hope this makes sense.