Skip to main content

Reply to "Noncommited 23's"

@Ster posted:

That is a very good list.   I don't see how anyone can determine #4 and #5.

I was looking at the D1 transfer portal at a particular school and noticed that they had 10 players listed in the transfer portal.   However, only 5 are players that I found on their perfect game commitment list over the past five years.   I assume that some of these other players were "walk on" players that were at some point on the roster?   

Some kids are not on PG commitment list but on PBR or vice versa (for example my kid did not tell PG but told the local PBR rep...PG was for the most part a waste of money IMO for my Minnesota kid...I definitely could be wrong about that opinion too).

A couple of ways to get info is to seek out kids (or most likely your kid seek out but tread lightly) thru instagram (my kid did this with a school he was interested in and had some very early contact with) or attend a camp (usually there are kids from the team past or present working the camp). If you want to get some most likely biased dirt then seek out the kids that are/were in the transfer portal or the roster in the past and are no longer there. It requires a little online work but often can find kids new teams and figure out a way to maybe do a direct message or find out info thru other means. You can also sometimes get some dirt about programs from JUCO coaches (that either send kids from JUCO > the school or take their drop downs). Yet another way is to seek out info thru your travel programs alumni or teammates of alumni...definitely 7 degrees of baseball separation in the college baseball world...

We developed a relationship with a coach who had no spot for my son but liked him (and me). He gave us a bunch of very useful info on programs that were recruiting my kid and that he was considering.

Lots of ways to sleuth out info but just require varied amounts of work or connecting...most people here feel like it is worth some work to try to get their kids to a place that they might have a better chance of success. I know that I did...there were a couple of programs that I never mentioned to my kid and would have definitely told him about any big warts or other issues I potentially saw at that program.