Skip to main content

Reply to "Northwest Coach Resigns"

I have to agree with both txbball14 and Haltom Scout.

I am lucky, the head football coach I work with is great. We have partnered up very well I think. His dad coached baseball in college and even though he did not play, he is still a fan and understands. He comes to all home games and all the in town road games. We share quite a few players at Summit and the kids know that when it is football season the focus is football. When it is basebal season the focus is baseball. It is no coincidence that both sports won District Titles this year.

Now Haltomscout, I have heard the same things as you. I met with that coach the last time that job came open and after 10 minutes I knew it was not the place for me. I think the baseball part of the job would be great. Now that he is not the AD it should help, but there is also alot of truth behind what txbball14 said.

Just like any job, any baseball coach should ask the AD what the arrangements will be when the baseball/football guys are in season (spring time). At the very least, the head coach needs to have his varsity guys with him since they are competing for a playoff spot. If you are not going to get at least that, then I would say that you have some thinking to do.

Just my opinion, but I have been through the interview and hiring process a bunch in my career. I understand that assistants want a head coaching position real bad, but trust me, you won't want to coach with one hand tied behind your back.