Skip to main content

Reply to "Northwoods League Updates?"

keewartson played for the Lacrosse Loggers in the summer of 2016.   He was recently mentioned here:

https://northwoodsleague.com/l...Akb18ldivbZppuDLB-60

To put it blunt, and this will go probably for most summer teams, if you play well you will love it.  If you don't, you will be miserable.

Since son came from a mid-major, so he loved playing with a whole team that could play baseball at a whole different level.  His team did well, but they were all rather tired of baseball at the end and just wanted to come home for a few days before they needed to be back in school.  

The schedule did string a few days together and they stayed at hotels, but there were a few long nights on the bus.  His team was sponsored by the local Dairy Queen so after morning workouts, and sometimes between drills, they would go to DQ for smoothies (all food was free to the team that year).  Different restaurants sponsored meals each night for the team and the visiting team.  Sometimes when son's team was the visitor, they got pizza, but at home they were guaranteed a good meal.  

Team fee was about the cost of a camp for a week.  Had to provide own transportation at the beginning and end of the season.  I gave him some meal/spending money probably equal to what he would have gotten in college.

I don't think anyone could hold down a part time job with practices plus travel, and only a few days off.

Son's host family was doing it for the first (and only) time.  Not the best experience, but they managed.  Another family adopted son and his room/team mate so they had a good adult presence there.

I just counted 15 players from his roster that were drafted (over several years).  There could have been more.  The teams are very fluid with players coming and going all season due to many different reasons (injury, summer school, pitch count, homesickness, etc).  Son had a high school friend play on another NW team and was miserable and came home early.  He was not batting well.

23 players from the Northwoods League played in the MLB Arizonal Fall Leauge this past fall.  

Be sure your son has a passport.

Make sure to go this summer as part of your vacation!

Last edited by keewart