Skip to main content

Reply to "Northwoods League Updates?"

My son played in the Northwoods League this summer.  He is already assigned there again for next summer.  It is a LONG and grinding summer, but all games are live streamed with commentary, great atmosphere, and lots of scout exposure.  He was already assigned there and found out around early September shortly after he got back to campus. There is one team in the NWL that plays a lesser schedule and doesn't have a "home" field that did have a couple of incoming college freshmen on the team, but I don't think they got as much playing time.  @used2lurk had a son that played on it and could give you more information.  Feel free to message me if you want more information.

My kid was a HS grad that played this summer for the Minnesota Mudpuppies. They are the team that was based in Thunder Bay, ON and moved to the Twin Cities and played only an away schedule. It was an ok experience for him but kind of disappointing in a couple ways for me. Zero practices and only away games allowed him to be home for regular lifting (and part of a normal kid summer) but probably missed out on the development opportunities and more at bats that would be associated with being on a regular NWL team.

His team played at Duluth, St Cloud, Willmar, Mankato, & Rochester MN, Eau Claire & Lacrosse WI, Waterloo IA, and Bismarck ND. It was a good experience and did not hit for a high average but never felt overmatched at the plate despite facing bunches of 90+ arms. @IKETBD I do not recall seeing any other post HS kids when we played. Only my son (who is now at Bradley) and another kid who is playing at the U of MN. I know of 2 other recent grads from the cities who played summer league ball. One in the Appalachian League and the other in Prospect League.