Skip to main content

Reply to "Northwoods League Updates?"

My son pitched for two years for Waterloo in 2020 and 21. Obviously, 20 was very special because NWL I think was the only summer collegiate league that played that COVID year. That year, he was allowed to live at home in Iowa City and just come in when he pitched. The second year, he had a host family and did more travel.

A few plusses — he started and they put him in a rotation, which he never had while relieving for his college team. It really gave him a chance to settle into a routine and we could see tremendous improvement from the beginning of the season to the end.

Waterloo was a great place to watch a game and the fans were very passionate about their team. They got to know the players and it was fun to hear the support they offered.

During the summer of 21, he only travelled when he was slated to pitch on an away trip. When he didn't pitch, they had him do color commentary with the radio guys which was a great experience with him. On the third or fourth time he did it I commented to son that they must have thought he did a good job because they were having him do it so often, and he replied that no, they had a new player on the team and needed my son to let the kid wear his pants for the game so they had him in the radio booth instead of the dugout.

The one drawback for my son was he has always been a team player and decided to stay pitching longer and more than he should have as the season wound up. When he got back to campus he was exhausted. It really put him behind for fall.