Skip to main content

Reply to "Not having a good season."

RJM, Thank you for your feedback. My posting didn't have a lot of additional information so I will respond to your reply.  My son does have a list of colleges that he would like to checkout and has contacted coaches.  We did a Feb. break college trip to visit schools and he spoke with the coaches. He has been planning this for years and we are friends with a college coach that was helpful in this process. We did a lot of homework knowing this was to be the year to get looked at as a 2015 grad.  He has attended showcases(last summer ) and has shown well. None this year so far.  A college coach told us it would be this summer he would be looked at more closely. We were also refereed to a recruiter to help us with the process after a trainer saw him hit over the winter. (he is a local recruiter with 20+ years experience...not a recruiting co.) He also has had a private hitting coach for the last 4 years that is a scout for the MLB. He is a reference/contact we are using. He has asked coaches for feedback on his skills and what he needs to work on and where he may be a good fit. All of this before our college visits. One comment given: work on release point. That's it. When the season started this year there was nothing said to him that he would not be catching because of XYZ.  Before the season started we sat down with the recruiter to go over his baseball career and talked about catching and OF since he has versatility.  Feels kinda weird to talk to the recruiter about the successes your son has had catching for so long and then when he wants to come see him play...he's not catching.   We do not have rose colored glasses on and by no means does he have to go to a D1.  We are looking for the best fit.  We have a video of his skills and he does plan on attending prospect camps.  I was concerned that having a "less than he is used to" season it would affect his college chances.  I hear what you are saying about excuses.  Not trying to make any but I've been around a long time there some things that are very obvious.  That's life, don't have to like it but we are pressing on. I love the great feedback here and yours was very helpful!!!