Skip to main content

Reply to "Not having a good season."

Originally Posted by NE Mom:

Good advice...and questions.  The only showcase we were told that was worth going to was Headfirst. I know...crazy, but it was said.  While I have seen good responses on here regarding Headfirst...my son does not have straight A's and the colleges listed are not ones he is focusing on.  

Not crazy... Headfirst is one of the top showcases but if the school list doesn't match your son's, it won't be a top event for him.

We worked with the recruiter as he wanted to know which schools my son was interested in going to. We are looking at schools that would be a better fit for his academics.  The recruiter had his video professional do his skills video to send out.

IMO, a good video is a great tool but only one to use as a complimentary piece, not one to lean on to do all the heavywork.  The video alone will usually not create interest.  It should be combined with other communication and references, preferably connected to the target school(s).

The Perfect Game Showcase is during the same time the tryouts are for the new team being put together.

If I have the story straight, isn't the recruiter he is working with putting together this team?  Can't he arrange for your son to tryout for his team on a different date, if even necessary?  If the recruiter's purpose for putting the team together is primarily to help kids looking to play at college level, he would certainly be understanding of a player wanting to attend one of the highest profile events designed for that same purpose.

I may be wrong, but I felt that having a recruiter help with this process and focus on colleges that were a good fit with academics, we would then get him in front of the interested coaches where ever that may be...prospect camp or a showcase knowing there were coaches wanting to see him.

You are not wrong but the recruiter has to have connections at the same target schools that your son is targeting and your son has to have the ability and skill set that matches what those schools are looking for at this particular time.

Too many times I hear stories of players attending showcases and they do not hear anything afterwards. It seems there can be 100's of kids attending one showcase but if you are already on a coaches radar then you will be looked at.  Once again, more talk from others experience.

This is often true.  The number of college roster spots open is usually far less than the number of "all-star" HS players trying to fill them.  It is usually a much more difficult leap than players and parents imagine.  Also, most parents of those hundreds of kids have a very favorable opinion of their own kids (as would be expected).

I hope we are doing some things right at this point.  We will figure it out and you will someday see the results posted on here....probably under what "to do" and 'not do" for recruiting.

I don't see here what is usually mentioned in these types of posts... while dealing with all the recruiting steps it is crucial that your son continue to work hard on maintaining his grades and working to be the very best player he can be, physically and mentally.

The fact that son may not play for the legion team is a hurdle that can certainly be overcome.  But he must have a skill set that is a fit, he must search out that fit and make a connection and he must continue to work hard to improve and be prepared to perform when the opportunity is present.

Last edited by cabbagedad