Skip to main content

Reply to "Not looking forward to spring..."

Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:

you are talking about your 10th graders High School Team...does it matter?  Don't most scholarship offers come from what the kid does on his travel team and at showcases? 

I disagree with this. Certainly most of the players whose parents are on this site are looking to recruited or have been through the process, but for 90% of players, HS ball is the pinnacle of their baseball career so if the kid loves playing baseball it should be very important for him.  And even D1 recruits take playing for their schools very, very seriously from what I have seen.

That said, my advice to Rob is to take deep breath. Your anxiety will not help your kid.  There's literally nothing you can do but advise you kid to work his a$$ off every day to play wherever the coaches put him as best as he possibly can.   Unless the coaches are idiots, if the kid can really hit, he will not sit. Personally I would not be upset about the catching situation, as being backup catcher on V means spending a whole of time catching bullpens, which could impact his ability to work on his hitting.   I do understand the concerns about 1B, but again, there's nothing you can do about that but support him 100%  and root for his success.