Skip to main content

Reply to "Not sure what to do"

bballpitcher,

Truth is no one can give you good advice without actually seeing you perform. Surely there is someone who you know and seen you play that can give you some good information.

I think what "Bum" is saying is the truth if everything were based on the information you provided. It sounds like you already have your priorities in order.

Personally, you don't seem to be overly confident. Most kids who would be considered undersized and still make it big, seem to have extreme confidence and outstanding ability. I think that is needed to overcome obstacles, but maybe even more important for those that might be small RHPs.

If you are talented and want it, there is a place for you in college baseball. It could be at a JUCO, but I would look closely at a good academic DIII. You might be surprised at what some DIII programs are able to offer to offset the cost. Financial aid, academic scholarships and institutional grants often make DIII much less expensive than DI on scholarship.

Same holds true for Juco baseball where many go to save money. Juco baseball at the higher levels is very much like DI baseball when it comes to talent. At the lower levels it's very much like DIII.

Same for NAIA... Some are extremely high level, some are extremely low level.

You might want to expand your search to include the whole country, unless you're set on staying in a certain area.

In the end, most important is that degree and sounds like you have that figured out. College baseball at any level is a "great" experience. I would never give that up without a try.

One more thing... that 84 you're topping out at might be upper 80s or better as you get older and stronger. And if you're really good, you could have a good college career without the higher velocity.

I would find someone honest in your area who you respect as a knowledgable baseball person and ask for thier advice. These type of people exist everywhere in the country, especially a large number of them in Southern California.

Best of luck

PS. TR, you have three pitchers that don't throw 80 on your team?