Skip to main content

Reply to "Not Tommy John"

I'll chime in here, first-hand experience. Some call it Tommy John Lite.

Last year my RHP son (D2 college) started the season and pitched until he could no longer ignore the pain and an MRI showed a partial tear. Since he was a Jr set to graduate this year, and not a draft prospect, he told me that he wasn't going to do TJ because he'd already be graduated by the time rehab was complete. He was prepared to hang up the cleats and get on with life. He and I discussed this with the ortho surgeon. The surgeon asked if he was open to a newer type of surgery called Internal Brace. He said an ortho surgeon that he had done his residency with did a good many of them with great results, some for the Pittsburgh Pirates organization. So we listened as he laid out the 3-4 month timeline before he could start a throwing in rehab, and then expected to be full-go in 6-7 months. He pretty much guaranteed that if everything went as expected, he'd be ready for spring practice. Son decided to move forward with the surgery, and had it done the day after his last exam May 2021. Everything went as expected. He's still building up his arm and pitch count, but he's back and playing his Sr season, velo is almost where it was pre-surgury. Got his first regular season action in relief on Saturday, and it went as well as it could have. 2 k's, a fly ball, and a walk in an inning of work.

Internal Brace has allowed him (so far) to play out his Sr year in college. Less than a year ago I thought he was done.

Last edited by 24fan