Skip to main content

Reply to "Nothin' happening in CA HS baseball?"

Well, our season ended tonight with a thump. Got pasted 10-1, score was 9-0 after two innings. Tough game for us--our #1 pitcher, the scheduled starter, got suspended from school yesterday and so wasn't eligible to pitch, and #2 went 9 innings three days ago so couldn't pitch either. But I have to say that what hurt wasn't so much the loss as some of the comments I heard in the stands. There is only one set of bleachers at this field, so both sets of fans intermingled, and in fact it was lovely for many folks who had friends and family "on the other side of the hill" who were able to meet and sit together. But there was a small contingent of our opponents' fans whose comments included telling each other thaa our team was from a "trashy town" as evidenced by the number of "------" (fill in the racial epithet)kids on our team, and, for example when a player came up to bat, commented that he could probably run "because they (racial group) are good at that." Frankly, it turned my stomach to hear such filth. What the heck is the matter with people? You would think they would be happy with winning the game without having to subject everyone around them to hearing their racial slurs. If I hadn't heard it myself I wouldn't have believed it. And this in an area that is supposed to be so liberal and tolerant. I am sad, sad, sad tonight.