Skip to main content

Reply to "Notifying Other Coaches of Commitment"

WBFLife posted:

...After telling head coach that he wanted to accept his offer, head coach advised that he needed to call all of the other coaches he had been seriously talking to.  He gave him some advice on what to say, but basically said to keep it short and to the point with lots of gratitude for the opportunity.  Also warned him that some of the coaches might not be so nice to him.  After making those calls, he reported back to us.  I was kind of surprised to learn that the RC of the 2nd place school was the not nice one!  Told my son he didn't think it was a good fit and said some not great things about the coach.  ...

Congratulations to your son!

Lots of possible explanations for this, not that any of them are acceptable excuses for the behavior.  Remember, most coaches got to where the are in part because they are very competitive.  Winning (or losing) the recruiting game can be just as important and just as competitive as the games on the field.  Sometimes, very competitive people don't handle losing well.  Also, I thought it was a bit odd the way you described the discussion with the HC of the school he committed to... almost too much detail about how some coaches won't take it well.  It is certainly not out of the question that maybe there is particular competition for recruits between him and the one that didn't handle it well.  It may also be possible that he told you to BE SURE to call the other coaches because he was kinda rubbing it in to that one in particular?   Just a thought.

Last edited by cabbagedad