Skip to main content

Reply to "Notifying Other Coaches of Commitment"

coachld posted:

Plenty of great advice/comments already but in my opinion, it is just another opportunity for parents to prepare their child for life. I think we all sometimes make the mistake of looking at high school athletics and all that goes along with it, including the recruiting process, thru a microscope. I work in education as well as coach and we talk all the time about not judging a student without fully understanding family dynamics, etc. Helps me look at everyone I interact with in a different light. 

If it were my son, I would talk about the many reasons why the RC could have been an ass, none of which have anything to do with my son personally. Maybe your son's call was not the first that the RC had received that day. Maybe his job is on the line this upcoming season and he has a family to support. Maybe the guy is just a bad apple. Again, none of those reasons have anything to do with your son.

Amen.  I know my son is highly competitive and invests a lot of time into each player/family that he recruits.  But he is also a young man living life.  It hurts when he loses someone but last week he had three players tell him after they had committed that they were going somewhere else closer to home.  Not better programs or better coaches but because they wanted to be closer to home.  He was counting on all three and understood but it still hurt.  I'm not sure he was very happy about it and it probably showed in his voice and he was probably short with them.  Not always what he would want but it is life.  Thanks for the insight.