Skip to main content

Reply to "Notre Dame"

Mik Aoki was announced today as the new head coach of Notre Dame.
Just a few years ago, in 2006 I believe, many were posting that Pete Hughes was nuts for leaving BC and could never make an impact in a cold weather ACC program like that at Va. Tech. The school was a football school with less than the best facilities, cold weather, a program that had not been successful and it was trying to compete in the ACC.
Heck, on another site, many were posting things similar to this throughout the course of this year.
When Va. Tech beat Fla. St., they posted they could not beat Ga. Tech. When they beat Ga. Tech, they posted they would never succeed in the ACC tournament.
In my view Mik is taking on a challenge not much different than the one Pete Hughes assumed at Va. Tech, other than being in the very strong ACC.
Mik has the benefit of everything ND and its national reputation and strong academics, which Va. Tech did not have in baseball in 2006.
ND plays its initial 20-25 games in the South each season. That type of travel cost shows commitment, at least to me.
Mik clearly knows the landscape, the expectations and surely has a plan to succeed. I wish him all the best. My sense is this can be a very, very good fit.