Skip to main content

Reply to "Notre Dame Prospects Camp"

I second Gov's take.  My 2017 went to the ND camp the Summer of 2016. Aoki walked around behind the home plate screen talking to his other coaches, talking to some people in the stands, etc.  He showed little to no interest to what the players on the field were doing.  I got the perception that even though there were 150+ kids at camp, he thought none of them would be good enough to play at Notre Dame.  The worst was on the final day, when all of the kids were brought back together, Aoki was nowhere to be found to thank the kids for coming, encourage them, etc.  It was the only college camp my 2017 attended where I saw so little of the head coach to make it obvious that this was nothing more than a money maker for the school and assistant coaches.  Then when 2017 never got any feedback weeks after the camp, he had to chase down an assistant who apologized that they overlooked it.  Just a bad experience all around.

I guess Notre Dame can get away with that approach, but I would not recommend it when there are so many other schools with more reasonably priced camps where the HC is actually engaged and a part of the camp.  Many of them may have already chosen their recruits elsewhere, but at least they made the effort to participate in the camp.