Skip to main content

Reply to "Notre Dame Prospects Camp"

infielddad posted:

From my recall, other than when UNLV changed coaches and the HSBBW had a lengthy thread with many comments on the backlash from cutting nearly every player and those with an NLI, this is the very first thread which trashes a college coach, by name, and  for, what I view to be  very subjective  reasons. This thread is unlike the thread on the coaching change debacle  at UNLV. 

Personally, I think it is a shame.

But it sounds like parents who are footing the bill for these camps don't feel it's a shame, they feel it is a sham. Let's face it, funding a college coach or three is what these camps are about, and they do it on the dreams of the kids who either think they may get noticed at these camps, or in my son's case someone who travels sometimes thousands of miles at great expense because a coach asked their travel team coach to see if they would come. When you get that interest as an underclassman from a program through your club team, it makes you feel it is genuine interest. Then you show up and they have no idea who you are...then you realize you just paid  ton of money for travel, lodging and food to put a few hundred dollars into a college program's budget. That is a shame, infield dad.

My advice to college coaches everywhere, don't contact a player either directly or through their travel ball coaches to come to a college camp unless you are at least will to say "hello, thanks for coming, we are glad you are giving us the chance to get a better look at you" to the kid. I have several friends now who are so sick of this college camp money grab that they are no longer going to attend any...and I am in that group.