Skip to main content

Reply to "Notre Dame Prospects Camp"

SDR,

I  love the players and the game. I especially love the players as they move up in the game,  encounter the new challenges which they confront and to which they  adjust and succeed. The better they play the game, the more I love the game they play.

Having had a son coach at both the D3 and D1 levels, I also have a healthy (or unhealthy depending on viewpoints) amount of perspective which most on the way up do not.

Several years ago, one of the very best HS coaches in CA (and the nation) took the time to post on this site and on a local board.  His perspective, several years ago, was the $$$$ cycle we now see in "recruiting" would happen unless parents acted differently.

Frankly, there is no camp or showcase which does not "take" $$$$ from some percentage of those attending, if the expectations are getting that exposure toward being recruited. Perhaps, in the mix, are travel teams and coaches and programs which "feed" the "you can play."

In my view, far too many pay too many $$$$$$ on being seen instead of developing the skills to eventually be seen.  Disappointment is a natural result.  This has largely turned into a demand and supply business. How many now post on this site about showcasing in 8th grade and get "rationalized" thoughts on do it if you can afford it for the "experience," or "bonding" or "whatever?"

If I ran a travel team, showcase or college camp, why wouldn't I "take" those $$$$$?

Headfirst, for all those advocating in favor of it, is one example.  If 10 people on this site advocate how great it was "for their son," I would bet 50 people read it, believe it applies to their son and plunk down $1000 plus travel, hotel, etc. without ever realizing their son is not your son in terms of ability. And so, the world turns....