Skip to main content

Reply to "November of Senior Year in HS"

@RJM posted:

The, fallback question ... After all the sacrifices to say you played college ball does your dad own his own business and will hire you?

I know a kid whose father left no dollar unspent after the kid was a LL all star. The kid grew to 5’10” with mediocre foot speed and a puss arm. He was the #3 pitcher at a 1A high school. A baseball academy was always willing to take the money and place him on the B travel team. The kid was signed up for the full year round package.

He “walked on” at a losing D3 with poor facilities, mediocre academics and sat for four years. His father still brags his kid played for a prominent baseball academy and played college ball. The typical person hears “college ball” and envisions what they see on tv. In a few years the kid will take over dad’s business.

Sure. I mean there will always be those examples but for the most part, players have to have some talent or they don’t last 4 years as a general rule..I guess you do need BP catcher but... normally get cut for a JuCo transfer their junior year etc. . My son is a D3/NAIA talent level. He was getting all kinds of interest from these D3 schools out East that cost 40-50k a year tuition. His GPA is 4.14. Top 10 of his class. Went NAIA since within academics and athletics $$, was able to secure full tuition as a RHP. They have the same number of athletic scholarships as D1
Last thing...the HC he signed with asked him who else he was considering when we went for our visit last December. He warned us to be careful of programs that sign kids with big JV squads..he said they love kids with high GPA, keep big rosters, don’t get on varsity very quickly unless stand out right away.  Sure enough, his other A pick was doing that.