Skip to main content

Reply to "November of Senior Year in HS"

@medicineman posted:

Sure. I mean there will always be those examples but for the most part, players have to have some talent or they don’t last 4 years as a general rule..I guess you do need BP catcher but... normally get cut for a JuCo transfer their junior year etc. . My son is a D3/NAIA talent level. He was getting all kinds of interest from these D3 schools out East that cost 40-50k a year tuition. His GPA is 4.14. Top 10 of his class. Went NAIA since within academics and athletics $$, was able to secure full tuition as a RHP. They have the same number of athletic scholarships as D1
Last thing...the HC he signed with asked him who else he was considering when we went for our visit last December. He warned us to be careful of programs that sign kids with big JV squads..he said they love kids with high GPA, keep big rosters, don’t get on varsity very quickly unless stand out right away.  Sure enough, his other A pick was doing that.

JV players rarely make varsity. Next year 6-8 new preferred recruits come in. These are players the coach walk their applications through admissions. There are D3s where the coaches get pay bonuses for recruiting a certain number of full paid “recruits” whether or not they ever see the field. It’s revenue for the school.

A friend told me his son told him on the first day of D3 fall ball there were 27 players who thought they were recruited vying for 3 roster spots. Even though D3s don’t have roster limits this coach only kept 32. The 29 players with secure spots were either returning players or freshman legit preferred recruits.

This is a known baseball coach with a solid baseball reputation. It’s how the recruiting game is played. Making it to campus only means an opportunity to prove you belong.