Skip to main content

Reply to "November of Senior Year in HS"

”Go where you are loved” is more important than ever.  “Go where you will love the school regardless of Baseball” is equally important.

This what many above have reiterated and I fully agree.  One of the difficulties though is you never really know where you are loved until it is too late.  A few of my son's teammates/friends were confident the coaches loved them due to encouraging words and actions.  When it got closer to opening season they started having second thoughts and by the following year they transferred out.  It could have been because  lack of talent, work ethics, team player, or others being that much better.  For that reason, I would probably give a little more weight to "go where you will love the school regardless of Baseball" since you never know when your baseball career may be over.  You are in control of what type of academic college experience you will experience and what type of degree in the end.  Others (coaches/scouts) may determine what type of baseball career you may have, that diploma nobody can take away.  It's will be an interesting ride though, enjoy it.

Wise words there, I fully agree

If at all possible, it is helpful to see some tangible things attached to the perspective that a recruit feels that the coaching staff truly does “love” him.  Significant academic scholarship money, help through Admissions with Early Decision.  Those types of things.  Even with all of that, there is still no guarantee of playing time, or of a long leash if a kid starts out 0 for 10 etc

Its important to remember, even at a lower level D3 etc, just about every kid on the team (certainly 98% of the athletes getting playing time) were one of the best players on their travel team or from their home town or from their high school program.

That kid on the mound in college with the filthy slider?  He doesn’t give a care about whether or not your son hit .400 in high school.  He’s going to set him up with a fastball up out of the strike zone and then make him chase the nastiness.  

As stated above.  Go somewhere with great professors who teach what you want to learn, where you feel at home on campus, where you can meet life long friends etc

(And work on hitting the fastball and laying off of the off speed stuff unless it hangs!)