Skip to main content

Reply to "Now campaigning against Tommy John surgery .... Tommy John"

Thanks for sharing the article.   Irony is oozing from this story.

Sports is something that never sits still.  Competition makes it so.  Tommy John can't compare what it was like coming up in the MLB in the 50s, 60's, 70s to the MLB today.   LIghtyears of difference.   Listening to these old timers is great and their perspective at that time when they were young.  I was listening to Hank Aaron the other night on an ESPN broadcast.   Certainly an all-time great but things are different today and it is mostly about the money.   I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but I can pretty much guarantee you if this (today's money) was dangled in front of any of these old time greats back in their day  then they would have done anything to keep playing baseball. 

We understand medicine and the human body much more today.   Heck, my Dad had a pace maker installed this Monday and it was outpatient surgery.  If we have the knowledge and opportunity to improve our lives/careers through medicine, why wouldn't you do it.  That decision lies with the family and the individual on what to do with their body. 

As always, JMO.