Skip to main content

Reply to "NTIS?"

DC0588 posted:

We are currently in Cary, NC with the 11U - Ohio Valley team.  A complete waste of time and money. Like many have said....stay away.  The roster is predetermined.  This is just a fundraiser for Team USA.  Unless your child plays or takes lessons from the All American Baseball Academy in PA...do not bother with the Ohio Valley Region. The Ohio Valley Region is a joke.  Not sure how the other regions are run, but the Ohio Valley Region is run by a bunch of guys that only play kids they coach.  Your son will never get a fair shot at it.  Our team should be called "Team Pennsylvania".  COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.

Same experience last year as my kid went for 12u team spot without having to do a tryout based on reputation.   Was it a cool event?  Absolutely.  Games were well managed, greeted at the airport, overall it was pretty good. Very much like USSSA All American in terms of being a money grab though. 

They brought some good players but also a LOT of players that didn't belong (even had one kid from Arizona in the Ohio Valley team who wasn't very good but his dad was a coach so..you guessed it, he batted third, caught and played SS).   They skipped the skills competitions which we were looking forward to and might have helped them see if kids could actually field.   Outside of games no fielding was scouted and hitting was maybe 5-7 hacks in front of scouts.   15 kids on the team so limited PT.   They basically were looking for kids throwing  70+ and then they would watch to see if they could also hit.      

The scouts pick the ultimate team and I think they got it just about right.    However, another factor is practicing with them at the later stages in LA. How are you going to pull that off if you have a season to play and are not in SoCal?    Most of the kids on these teams are from the West Coast SoCal because they know that they are the ones who are going to show up in June and July for the camps. 

The fact is that 99% of the kids there there are just subsidizing the ones who again are mostly from the West Coast, who are going to get picked. Also remember the age cutoff is Jan 1 not May 1 and there were kids there who were a full year older than others which is huge at that age.   

But would i do it again? I think you have the answer above. 

Last edited by Goblue33