Skip to main content

Reply to "OBA vs PBLO"

quote:
Originally posted by blexann:
quote:
Originally posted by BobbleheadDoll:
Blex think about it.
You are talking to a college coach 1000 miles away. He has no idea how good the competition is.
I can show you MLB & Mi LB pitchers that had poor stats in college and are every day pitchers.
We weren't asked about stats by any college we talked to. They wanted video to see what you had and didn't have.
If you play weak teams your stats will look marvelous.

Many of the PBLO teams here have relationships with the teams down south so some/most know what the competition is like.

I would be way more impressed with a player that has very good stats playing weak competition vs a player with poor stats playing the same weak competition!

Come on posters, you seem to have way more experience (at the elite/college level) then myself yet some of the comments here are way out in left field.

Further, I would think every college coach has a different way of rating players but the one common parameter is STATS.

I find it hard to believe you were not asked for stats by your college coach but as I said above different coaches have different approaches to the recruiting process. The few college recruiting forms that I have seen has had a spot for both individual and team stats.

Blex, I hate to tell you, but Bobble is right. His kid has been through the system & mine signed last year. The coach never asked about stats. He wanted to see him throw. He never pulled out a radar gun, not even this fall. He's been coaching for so many years, that he doesn't need one. He's more concerned about mechanics & movement and control.

For hitters, it's pretty much the same thing. A player can go 0 for 4 but hit the ball hard every time, just right at the fielders. That doesn't look good on the stats, but if he hits line shots, chances are he's something you can work with.

My kid had over twenty schools look at him. Everything from Jucos to NCAA D1 & 2 universities and a couple of NAIA universities. Not one of them asked for stats. They all saw him pitch at a variety of showcases and specific fall ball trips.

A D1 coach from Kentucky asked about him in the spring when his team was playing horribly behind him and they couldn't score a run to save their lives but he was an early signing. He was not only impressed with his pitching but also his composure during an error filled game. There isn't stat for demeanor. Wink
Last edited by GoodPitching