Skip to main content

Reply to "Observation About 2010 LHP Commits"

I can understand why people would have different opinions regarding radar guns. Calling out velocity to the son, will not make dad very popular at the games. In fact, it will make him look like a lunitic!

Is the gun mandatory in order for a young pitcher to be successful? Of course not!

Can the gun be a helpful tool for a young pitcher? Absolutely!

We have a gun with a big display board in our training facility. Pitchers can get instant feedback. Some of this feedback is very helpful. Over the many years we have had no arm injuries among the better pitchers who workout in that facility.

Some might say the gun only does one thing… show velocity and they are correct. However, knowing the velocity can be extremely helpful in many ways.

First of all, when the velocity reading is displayed for the pitcher it doesn’t take long before the pitcher learns that too much effort (over throwing) does not increase velocity. In some cases they learn that a little less effort and a more fluid delivery actually increases their velocity. That is a very good thing!

When the gun is always on, there is no reason to throw to the gun. You learn quickly how that works. You use the gun, it doesn’t use you!

The pitcher gets instant feedback on speed differential between fastball, change up and breaking balls. This allows for quicker adjustments.

The pitcher understands quickly when he has velocity drops or changes. He may not know for sure if it is because of fatigue, mechanical issues, or injury, but he knows something is not right. There is a fine line between perfection and a problem. The sooner a problem is discovered the better.

I have seen mechanical adjustments improve velocity by 2-4 mph instantly. When the pitcher sees that improvement with his own eyes, he starts paying close attention. Without the gun, the results might be the same, but it wouldn’t have the same impact on the kid pitching.

The pitcher can actually see improvement, both instantaneously and over time, and how it relates to mechanics and conditioning. Then that information helps confidence which is a pitchers best friend.

So though the gun only gives us velocity, those velocity readings give us lots of useful information. Information that can help a young pitcher, if you know what you’re looking for and how to use it.

On the other hand we also use radar guns for strict scouting purposes. This is different and has nothing to do with training or development. It is just compiling data for evaluation purposes. Dads that have radar guns should use it for other reasons, as stated above. Use it as a tool to help their son get better, rather than something to brag about. At the same time, I see nothing wrong with parents that want to know how hard their son is throwing. I believe that is very natural. I know some people frown on dads with a gun in the stands, but unless they become a nuisance, I don’t see anything wrong with that. I’ve met some who just enjoy the game more that way. They gun all the pitchers, not just their son.

Anyway, when it comes to baseball, I’m an information freak. I want to know everything possible. All information is important. Never is there too much information. Now what people do with, or how they look at, that information can differ. Some use it the wrong way, others use it as a tool to learn and improve. The gun is a tool that provides information.

Is it helpful or harmful? Depends on whose using it and why.