Skip to main content

Reply to "Observations on WB v. Oscar Smith"

Tiger59, a couple of comments responding to your posting.

1. Agree that there is no reason to start a separate thread regarding any game in the Southeastern District. A thread is started for each week so that information on games played during that week can be consolidated.

2. Sorry if my “chuckle” offended you. My “chuckle” was not because of who was the subject of the thread nor because of any particular comment being made. It could have been comments about Western Branch and I still would have chuckled if posted by Sportsattorney. The chuckle was because I (correctly) knew the nature of the comments would generate a lot of firey responses and I guessed that Sportsattorney, being new to the forum, would have no idea of the reaction it would engender. I suspected that Sportsattorney, who is surveying the local talent for possible pro level ability, might not be as sensitive to the feelings of parents, including those of a coach’s parent. You will have to admit that folks on this forum tend to like the information relayed to be sugar-coated, only telling the positives and not the negatives, even if the negatives are based in fact. An unreal world.

3. If you will research older threads, you will see that I have made positive comments about the progress brought to the OS baseball program by the new coach, your son. In fact, given how closely OS has played WB in a couple of recent games, I was surprised to hear of yesterday’s results.

4. If the “facts” you relay about the OS program are “facts” (dictionary def: something known to be true), then the progress of the program is making great strides. Your nonfactual (i.e., false) statement re some of the Western Branch / Indian River game played on April 16, 2010 (the year WB went to the state semi-finals) does cause me to question how accurately you relay “facts.” Yes, it is a fact that the score was 10-0, largely due to the complete game very effectively pitched for Indian River by Dean Ali and in part due to fielding difficulties of WB. It just wasn’t WB’s day - IR even turned a freakish triple play. However, c’mon. By your moniker it appears that you may have watched high school baseball in the area for a number of years. Do you REALLY think that Coach Wright would leave a pitcher on the mound to give up 3 home runs? I watched most, and I believe all, WB games during the seasons of 2008-2011 and NEVER saw a single pitcher give up 3 homeruns and it did not happen that day as you falsely stated. Thompson pitched 3 innings, gave up 1 homerun, a 2-run homerun; Cassidy pitched 2 innings and gave up 1 home run, a 3-run homerun; Bradshaw gave up a solo homerun in the 6th inning. NO pitcher gave up three homeruns, nor did any single pitcher give up 10 runs. And whether a pitcher gave up a homerun is not subjective, it is a fact. I truly hope the “facts” you relayed about OS are more accurate than the “facts” you relayed re the April 10, 2010 WB / Indian River game.
Last edited by WB Reporter