Skip to main content

Reply to "Obstruction question"

quote:
Originally posted by Kumi:
Mike S, I'm confused. In the first sentence you say kill it as soon as a play is made on an obstructed runner, but then you go on to say that if he tries for home and is thrown out by enough, he's out. So with your arm sticking out singaling delayed dead, you are going to allow an obstructed runner called out? I would think that might get someone off the bench.

When the runner is obstructed and a play isn't being made on him then it is a delayed dead ball. Once a play is made on the obstructed runner then the ball is dead. At that point you decide if he is to be awarded a base or is going to be out because you overran his protection. This the OBR method.
In FED obstruction is always delayed dead ball and at least a base, maybe more. So if other runners are still moving then leave the ball live in case the defense could get other outs. If the obstructed runner is tagged out but you are going to give him the base, then don't make a call. If you think he overran his protection, call him out.
This beside the point but I have never used the arm to the side mechanic. I announce the obstruction when it happens and then sort out the play when it is dead.